February 29, 2012

wordy wednesday: entry #4

INSECURITY

one of my devotions this week was on insecurity & it got me thinking: i'm insecure! {lol}  i have my reasons.  i fear rejection, i'm a people pleaser, i feel that i need approval of others, i like to hear compliments for confirmation of my actions, but on stage i feel like i am a totally confident alternate person.  if that doesn't scream insecurity, i don't know what does.  these are things that i struggle with everyday.

anyways, Joyce writes, "the truth is that we don't need to struggle to get from man what God freely gives us... our worth, value, acceptance & approval come from Him."  that was very uplifting & hit home with me!

i remember one sunday, i was practicing with my church's praise band before performing a new song that i had wrote.  the song was a little bit more confrontational {being that it addressed the church body as a whole & it was dealing with my own personal issues... no, i'm not perfect, if you can't tell at this point}.  i was nervous that i would upset people in the congregation and i was talking with my pastor {also the bass player in the band} and our music director about it and i'll never forget what my pastor said:  "we play for an audience of one."

i don't really know who started that phrase but whoever it was, they were so right and Joyce is too.  why should i care what others think or say about me?  as long as i am trying to please God, His opinion is the only one that matters.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?  Or am I trying to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."
- Galatians 1: 10


who are you trying to please today? just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment